Supporting Information

Explaining the level of supporting detail required for all faculty applications.

You must support your faculty application with an appropriate level of detail so that the precise nature of the works and their impact are clear to the DAC, Diocesan Chancellor, statutory consultees and the wider public.  All of the following are required (and your application is likely to be delayed if you omit any of them):

  • A clear Statement of Need.  For larger schemes (such as extensions or major re-orderings, and any significant work to a church listed Grade I or Grade II*) you should use the detailed guidance from Churchcare, otherwise the simpler guidance will normally be sufficient.  Make sure your document includes a date and author(s) to avoid confusion if it is later updated.  Some wider guidance about documenting need for grade-listed churches can be found in Historic England's guide on New work in historic places of worship.
  • A clear Statement of Significance.  This sets out the nature of the fabric or furnishings affected by the works and is required for work in all listed buildings.  For larger schemes you should use the detailed guidance from Churchcare, otherwise the simpler guidance will normally be sufficient.  Help is available on researching significance.  Make sure your document includes a date and author(s) to avoid confusion if it is later updated.
  • Where appropriate, catologue photos (e.g. sound control box), any colour/finish options and fixing details
  • A plan of the church and/or churchyard showing the location/extent of the area affected by the work.
  • A full works specification from your architect or contractor 
  • Photographs of the area(s) affected by the proposed works - both close-ups and longer contextual shots so that the impact of the proposals is absolutely clear
  • Comments on the proposal from statutory consultees.  Details of who you will need to consult are set out on the page covering Consultation.  It's rare for a faculty application not to involve some degree of consultation if the church building is listed - and you will certainly need to consult the local planning authority for any external change to a listed building. For repairs (e.g. stonework, tiled floors) you will need to provide representative condition photographs
  • Very major structural work such as rebuilding a spire will normally need an engineer's report. For items of special historic or artistic significance (e.g. historic murals) you will need to include a suitable Conservation Report
Page last updated: Thursday 23rd April 2020 2:35 PM
Privacy Notice | Powered by Church Edit