Procurement (tendering for goods, works and services)
It's important to understand when and how to tender for professional services, such as architect fees, as well as goods and works from a building contractor. A funding application is likely to require evidence you have followed the correct procedure for tendering.
- DAC guidance on selecting an architect although this webpage refers to QI Architects, the guidance can be applied wider to the appointment of architects as well as tendering for other goods and services.
- Procurement guidance from the Church Buildings Council about the legal requirements for tendering for professional services (such as an architect), goods and works
- Architect's Brief - This weblink may also be of interest.
On grant applications, you need to clearly show VAT both an expenditure and income on eligible works that qualify for VAT reclaim. This, therefore, affects the overall budget cost. To check which works can be included, speak with your architect. Also refer to the official websites:
- The available official guidance is VAT Notice 708 - Buildings and Construction. Sections 9 and 14.7 are particularly relevant to churches. Additional information relating to disabled access is available under VAT Notice 701/7.
- The Listed Places of Worship Grant Scheme (VAT reclaim scheme). This government grant scheme makes grants towards the VAT incurred in making repairs and some improvements to listed buildings mainly used for public worship.
Links to sources of funding for conservation work to particular items
- Historic Cheshire Churches Preservation Trust. This is our local county church trust, which covers the geographical area of the Diocese of Chester
- Churchcare - a wide variety of grants for restoration work as listed in their annual reports
- Church of England Parish Resources list of national grant making trusts, see section 4. This includes grants for repairs, conservation and improvements including features of the building such as bells, organs, windows and other specific items.
- National Churches Trust, minor and major repairs and building improvements
- Guide to Grants By the British Institute of Organ Studies. This guide lists possible grant-making trusts
- The Institute of British Organ Builders This webpage lists possible grant-making trusts
- Listed Places of Worship Scheme (VAT reclaim scheme). For grade listed churches, certain works are eligible to reclaim VAT costs retrospectively.
- Church of England's Church Buildings Council grant - organ repairs.
Stories worth sharing
Diocese of Chester guidance on church building and hall projects, including examples of projects in our Diocese.
The word image represents the top comments written in The Visitor's Book from a selection of churches in the Diocese.